Tuesday, October 23, 2007

pizza, Horatio, 'They must be cheating'


Pizza

If you haven't already heard, my wife Julie and I are having a baby. So far, it seems that the pregnancy has been uneventful. I say that loosely, because I know Julie has been pretty sickly for the first three months, which is stinky. I know that I would turn into a little girl from feeling ill for that long, so great job to Julie. But, the first real weird food issue occurred last week. We were shopping. We had made a habit of buying these cheap yet delicious frozen pizzas to eat on busy nights. As we were wrapping up our grocery extravaganza, I suggested that we get some delicious pizza. I was confronted with a death stare and the challenge to not ever allow the word 'pizza' escape my lips again. She said, 'I can't even think about pizza right now without feeling sick.' Just the thought of it was making her visibly ill. If I even started to mouth the 'P'. . .sick. - - - But here is the best part A.)we ate pizza the night before and B.) we were getting the ingredients to make calzones (AKA-folded delicious pizza). It is apparently just the word or evil triangle-circle pie shape that makes my child angry. Just down right crotchety. Anyways, that has been a fun new adventure for me to work my mind around.

Horatio

Julie and I have a few shows, as I eluded to in the previous post, we like to watch. One of which is not CSI: Miami. I hear a lot of hype about this show and due to a very sore back, have watched a few episodes over the last few weeks. The show is alright, cool suspense and interesting crime science and drama. All in all, it is ok if you really have nothing better to do. That being said. . . the like main character. (And I meant to say like, because I don't know how to describe him another way) Horatio. . . I don't know if anyone watches this show, but tell me if this is not the biggest tool on TV. He is this all pasty, red-headed, dude who uses this 'Dirty Harry' whisper when he talks and he says all of these pointed one liners like he has experienced everything that has ever existed and everyone else are just silly ignorant children wasting his time. The idea of his character is not all bad. Mysterious, strong, intense, bad 'A - double money sign' good guy who influences the team and often times makes the final bust. But the actor they picked is just so random. It is like Nicholas Cage in Con-Air -"Put the bunnay down." or George Clooney as Batman (for real?). Anyways, that is his picture.

'They must be cheating'

I was riding to school today with my class mate and having our weekly debate over why the Bengals stink and why Pittsburgh is a sleeping giant ever in danger of awaking and destroying all who venture near. After a weekend when Pittsburgh forgot to show up and Cincinnati actually played like they new what a football was, Nick and I resumed our debate. It has become pretty clear that Pittsburgh will be able to defeat the Bungals, but the topic came up about whether or not anyone will beat the Patriots. Nick's immediate response . . ."They must be cheating!" Now, I am not a fan of the 'Hoody' or Tom Brady ( not for any good reason other than he has beat us three times in the championship game. ) I also note that they have not played anyone really good, but holy freakin cow. They are absolutely toying with teams. They are like a pro team playing against ACC college teams. The domination has been total. Now I know that this will end when they face the Steelers, but for now, I have to marvel at whether they are that good, or is everyone else that bad. If they are that good . . . they must be cheating!

that is all

5 comments:

Truth Wears Pants said...

Ahh, Horatio. I loathed the guy. Please take careful not at the tense of the word loath that I used. Here is my explanation: it is threefold. 1. David Caruso (Horatio) has been so beautifully plucked from the annals of movie making history. You may remember him from a little movie entitle First Blood. He was the only sheriff's deputy to be on Rambo's side...
2. At first blush I admit, the character makes you wish to everything good, pure and holy that he would cease to exist. However, the more you watch, although never truly convinced that Horatio does not have some deep seeded tooliness, he begins to grow on you. I mean come on, that character is so freakin' ridiculous that it has to be premeditated tooliness right? He is like Dr. House in his character if in only one regard; he is who he is. He is consistently a tool which sort of takes the tool out of him.
3. He can be manipulated into great entertainment. Observe...at this link: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2812952

Sean said...

Are there other movies besides Rambo? the answer. . .yes. Twins and Hudson Hawk off the top of my head. I looked him up on IMDB and discovered that he has been on every police show ever made. T.J. Hooker with the Shat (new name for William F. Shatner) Chips, Hill Street Blues just to name a few.
And that link is funny, but not nearly as good as the link off that page to '24'. If you do not watch 24 yet, it might not be as funny, but I nearly wet myself at that one.

Tim said...

First of all, it was only a couple of posts ago where you realized you were getting fat. Now you’re buying pizza and calzones. Do I really need to point out the obvious?

Second, Clooney wasn’t nearly as bad in the role as freaking Michael Keaton. That said, Batman only got cool one movie ago. Before that he was either gay, or cheesy.

Third, any chance of catching a Pittsburgh game together on the 2nd of December? They’re playing the bungals at home and I’ll be in town that weekend. Shoot me an email.

Carrie Babcock said...

Yes - Someone else who makes fun of his character. The show as a whole is chessey, but Horatio put the icing on the cake. Adam and I love to make fun of him. There is actually a drinking gave dedicated to him. Everytime Horatio puts on his sun glasses you take a drink. I would be drunk by the end of the show!

Dan Gartley said...

I was going to throw my horatio comments on here, but it's pretty much all been covered. Here's a you tube clip of horatio 1-liners...i think it's the same thing as the other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948
. My personal favorite is Grisom from CSI Vegas. He doesn't have the edge (or the slick shades) that horatio has...but in the same spirit, everything he says is a an old wive's tale or a lesson from an ancient civilization. He stops crimes with parables and a history degree. Basically, he's horatio's nerdy, older brother.