Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fantasy time again

Well, after thinking I might not get into a fantasy league earlier this week, I am now in a whole bunch. I am taking my weird draft strategy or taking the best of everything else while everyone fights over running backs. Conventional wisdom says that this is foolery, and if you don't do fantasy, you will not understand any of it any way, but this unorthodox draft strategy got me to the final game in two leagues prior only to loose to people who did not have top backs on their team anyway. So off we go. . . with the joyous return of the NFL and fantasy football, the further away from playing I get, the more I revel in the view from the couch.

In other news,
-Lucy has grown a ton and is making lots and lots of noises. She is going to be a talker, which is a funny labeling as we hope every child is a talker.

-I am also as sick as crap with a nasty cold thing that is keeping me up at night.

-Steven Curtis Chapman songs can make a statue cry (see Cinderella and All I really want for Christmas)what can I say, the dude has a gift.

-The Bengals look wretched (not really news) while the Steelers look like another run is in the future

-The Olympics are done, and I am questioning the true value of many of the sports, that's all I'll say.

-My cat Jeremy has fleas, because he has figured out a way to ninja his butt outside the house without us knowing.

-Presidential election is coming up. . . nothing valuable to add, because really, despite knowing full well who I am going to vote for, I like to comment on what other people say with absolute conviction and play devils advocate, because frankly, I think people need to look deep into why they would vote for a particular candidate and make an educated choice, and a lot of what I hear from folks is a lot of surfacy stuff that doesn't actually deal with the capabilities of a candidate to lead.

-And now a new addition to Sean's blog posts, name the movie quote. . .
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future. "

until next time

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Anything. And, I get super-extra-bonus points for answering from Afghanistan. Seriously, I want Lucy's middle name officially changed to junior.

Also, the ninja line about made me wet my pants. How the heck do you do that?!

Joshua said...

Sean, I agree about the Olympics thing. Though to be honest, I thought I was hoping to get some insight into your drafting picks. Any thoughts on the sleeper of the year? I'm going with Willis McGahee. The real long shot sleeper, is Syndric Steptoe. (He's a real long shot because he's not even starting right now.)

Sean said...

draft picks. . . unless I have the top two picks in the draft (Peterson and Tomlinson) I do not draft a back until the third or fourth round. (craziness! you say,) by my picks end up being. . .
- Tom Brady 1st rnd (everybody still getting backs,
- Randy Moss 2nd rnd (everybody getting QBs) at this point it is open season, because the 20 or so hit or miss, above average backs (, Willie Parker, Edge, and the sleepers) who will all put out similar numbers, will last a couple more rounds, while everyone scramble for the Q, and the WR.
- I took Plaxico Burress (or Braylon Edwards, Depending on the league) 3rd
- Kellen Winslow 4th
-Then Edgerrin JAmes 5th
-(people are not getting defenses yet, )so I take the Vikings 6th
-then stock up on more floater/sleeper backs . . . (the three that I took and will probably produce big are. . .
1.Earnest Graham, had a ton of touchdowns late last season and looks to continue that trend
2. Selvin Young, young, explosive and is the starting back for the BRoncos (best run offensive line for the last 12 years, my mom could be their running back and go for 1,000 yds, and 6-10 TD)
3. Lendale White, he is on every one of my teams. I think he is going to put up big numbers this year,(last year it was dude from cleveland, who slowed down through the year) I don't think white slows down. he had an average year last year, but you got to think, he and vince young are both 3rd year guys, and their team was relitively decent down the stretch. So he is my big sleeper.

All that to say, I draft out of order, and then am proactive through the year, looking for the sleeper back, Last year it was Ryan Grant, picked him up for the last several games. We'll see if it keeps me in the hunt.

Joshua said...

Nice... I like it. I actually just decided to pick up Matt Forte. He's the RB for the Bears, and with the controversy surrounding Grossman, and the fact that they don't have a better choice really, I think he's going to get a lot of handles. That said, I still think McGahee is going to be a great pick. (Unfortunately, I'm still hunting for a good #1 RB. Right now, it's Jamal Lewis, but even this dedicated Browns fan doesn't expect him to repeat. Though we do have a sweet O Line this year.)

We'll see. Good luck! Are there any open spots left in any of your leagues?

Sean said...

unfortunately the three that I am in, I slid in under the radar after the leagues were basically full, so there is not much room.

Sean said...

I guess no room is the better answer.

Joshua said...

That's it. I'm ticked.

Tim said...

After looking over your thoughts, it's clear that you both suck at fantasy football. Willis McGahee might end up being what I like to call a "deeeeeeeeeeeeeep sleeper". The guy won't even be starting by the end of the season. Selvin Young will also be sharing carries right out of the gate. Jamal Lewis is injured, plays for the Browns, and is Jamal Lewis.

I, on the other hand, absolutely rule at Fantasy Football and have just had my greatest draft of all time. I've never been a believer in the "two stud running backs" theory, but specifically giving up all backs while I pick up other players is ninja dumb (did I use it right? because I've decided that I definitely need to incorporate the word "ninja" into more sentences). Personally, I go for the person who's going to score the most points. That sounds like a no brainer, but most people don't tend to think that way. They try to pick up the best running back or, like the Sean, the best other positions. I just try to pick up the best available player. This year it just happened to get me Joseph Adai, Frank Gore AND Larry Johnson. And they are part of the reason why I'll be breaking all of my league's records.

Sean knows my email address. From now on, before you draft or pick up free agents, email me with your picks. For the low, low cost of $19.95 I'll email you back and let you know if you're right or not. For another $5 I'll let you know who you SHOULD pick. I'm that good!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Nice topic, but will this really work?