Tuesday, May 02, 2006

its all good

So, I have been feeling the pressure, having not posted in a while, to come up with something awesome. Luckily, I have been sort of focussing my energy into doing some song writing and reading through the book of Numbers. So far my creative and passionate buttons have not been depressed leaving me looking forward to anything.

Julie and I listened to a talk for a leadership program our church is doing. In the talk, the speaker was talking about our leadership moment when God reveals the element of our sinful world that pushes us to action. He talked specifically about Moses seeing a fellow Jew getting beaten by an Egyptian, this burned in him and eventually blossommed into His leadership role when God calls him. It was a good talk, the most important thing I thought that he said was to expose yourself to the things that tick you off. Like if it is bad music, put yourself into a position to experience it in order to fuel the fire. Another example would be Christ clearing the temple, His heart burning for what God had set up on earth to represent HImself to man.

Being very interested in how passions are developed in our lives I really connected with this concept now that I have been thinking about it. In our culture it is very easy to not stay fired up. Between TV, movies, golf, family, dog, bible study, order of service ( not in order of importance) I find it so difficult to stay fired up about what God has set me up to get worked up about.
"It's all good" should not be my mentality, but rather GOd's broken heart for all that is wrong with what could have been perfect. Maybe I should starring answerring the question "howsit goin?" with ... " bad. I look around at churches that don't get it or are so pre-occupied with themselves, they miss God! or how could you stand in front of the gathering of the body and not spill forth the most inspired - Spirit lead talk or worship or silence? ! "

I could go on, but it is already negative. of course... I am sure it wasn't kicks and giggles wen the temple was cleared.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Really good thoughts! I've actually been working on an article, for a while now, discussing how I got into youth ministry. About a year ago I suddenly realized that my passion for youth ministry is a direct response to being bullied as a kid. That this is my attempt to stick up for other kids who are being bullied.

If you have the opportunity to spend your life working in an area that you are passionate about, you are TRULY blessed.

Joshua said...

It is a blessing. Let me start with that. But it's also like someone who loves bass living in a sub-woofer. No matter how passionate you are, or how much you love something, there's a breaking point.

To be honest, I'm pretty passioned out right now. I spent the better part of this year trying to squeeze passion and intentionality, and integrity, and all sorts out of everyone I came across. Now, I'm pooped. I'm done. I don't want to have any more deep conversations, and I don't want to know what's going on in anyone's life right now.

It is a blessing. But be careful, being in a place you're passionate about can be exhausting.

The orange only makes juice for so long. After that, all you're doing is cramping your fist.